Jan 22, 2004
For Immediate Release (Duluth, Ga.).
The Southeastern Railway Museum is pleased to announce the acquisition of Georgia Road Locomotive #1026.This EMD model GP7 locomotive served in the Atlanta area on the Georgia Railroad starting in 1950. The museum is excited to be adding this part of Georgiaís transportation history to the collection. Funding for this acquisition was provided by a number of private donors as well as proceeds from the museumís fall Phantom Trains fundraiser. The museum plans to restore the locomotive to its 1950ís appearance (see photos attached) and to use it both as an exhibit and as standby power for the museumís caboose train rides. The museum anticipates taking delivery of the locomotive in February.
About the Georgia Road Railroad
The Georgia Railroad had itís beginnings in 1833 when several investors near Athens realized the need for reliable transportation into the interior of Georgia. The railroad was chartered by act of the legislature in December 1833 and began construction the following fall.
On May 21, 1837 the first train pulled by a steam locomotive in Georgia operated over a portion of the first eleven miles of track. By 1841, trains were running from Greensboro to Madison and Athens. By the end of 1845 train service included Covington and Marthasville (later to be re-named Atlanta).
The property passed through several operators before being leased by the Atlantic Coast Line (ACL) on August 9, 1899. On the same day, the ACL formed an unincorporated organization known simply as the Georgia Railroad to administer and operate the leased property. In 1982, the holding company decided to sell all its railroad assets and the remaining former Georgia Railroad lines were made into subdivisions of other railroads.
The museum is open for general admission ONLY on Saturdays. Effective April 1, 2004 the museum will expand days of operation for the summer.
The Southeastern Railway Museum has been in operation since 1970 and is “Georgia’s Official Transportation History Museum”. The museum has over 80 other pieces of retired railway rolling stock including vintage steam and diesel locomotives, passenger coaches, private business cars, a World War II army troop kitchen, wooden freight cars, railway post office car and maintenance of way equipment. Transit history is represented with a cross section of busses and trolleys from the early 1900ís through the mid 1980ís. Many other items from Georgiaís transportation history are also presented on the museumís 30-acre site.
Trains rides aboard restored cabooses are complementary with admission. Train rides are only available on Saturdays through March.