With its unique collection of locomotives, rolling stock, and historic railroad artifacts, the Southeastern Railway Museum is a heavily photographed site. Casual snapshots around the grounds as you tour the Museum are encouraged, as we appreciate you and your family choosing to make some memories with us. Please share them with us on social media!
Annual Photography Competition
Share your snapshots in a special exhibition at the Southeastern Railway Museum. Submissions will be accepted starting in early 2019 for a gallery in March and April. Check back for more details.
Still photography, filming, and digital imaging are permitted for private, noncommercial use only. Photographs cannot be published, sold, reproduced, transferred, distributed, or otherwise commercially exploited without permission from the Southeastern Railway Museum. Commercial use includes any venture that intends to publish, sell, reproduce, transfer, distribute, or otherwise commercially exploit images of the Museum’s structures, rolling stock and collection. Commercial photography includes, but is not limited to, wedding or engagement photography, senior photos, professional portraits, portfolio photography for personal websites, modeling, media, and images for resale in any form.
During Museum hours, the fee for still photography is $50 per hour. The fee for after-hours photography is $75 per hour. Payment must be submitted prior to the photography session. After-hours photography must be scheduled at least three weeks in advance and is subject to availability of Museum staff members. Photography during museum hours should be scheduled at least one week in advance. The fee includes admission for the photographer and up to 4 guests. Groups larger than this require advance notice and are subject to additional fees.
The Museum is also available for photography workshops or classes. Classroom space is available for approximately 20 participants. The workshop fee is the hourly rate ($50 per hour during hours and $75 per hour outside hours) plus $5 per participant (including models, assistants, stylists, and students).
For filming, site fees vary based on the details of each project. Fees are determined by a variety of factors, including but not limited to, the nature and purpose of the project, its potential promotional value to the Museum, its intended market, time of day, disruption to Museum operations and guests, the impact of the production upon staff, length of stay, and the extent to which the Museum is required to support the project. Limited climate-controlled areas for make-up, wardrobe, or holding are available. Filming arrangements must be made at least two weeks in advance.
Photography workshops or classes may use the Museum as an instructional location. Fees are determined by a variety of factors, including but not limited to, class size, special requirements, and disruption to Museum operations. Classroom rental space is available. A representative from the workshop or class must make arrangements at least three weeks in advance.
To schedule a photography session, workshop, or location scout, or for more information concerning photography, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or, contact us here.
Members of the press may photograph or film at the Museum for the purpose of news coverage or promotion of the Museum and related events. All members of the press must contact the Museum prior to arrival. A staff member or volunteer must be present to escort members of the press to certain areas of the Museum unless otherwise arranged. Please try to schedule press visits at least one business day in advance to ensure the museum can accommodate your request.
- When the Southeastern Railway Museum is open to the public, no special arrangements can be made to block an area from normal visitor traffic. All filming and photography must be conducted without disruption to Museum operations or limitations to access to exhibits, rooms, entrances/exits, high traffic areas or other locations of interest to Museum visitors.
- All safety guidelines must be adhered to, and climbing on equipment inaccessible to the general public is not permitted unless given approval by Museum staff. Photos should be taken in a safe manner that does not interfere with regular operations, the enjoyment of others, or involve any danger to visitors or exhibits. Anyone shooting still photography or film must follow the Operation Lifesaver Photographer Safety Tips.
- Tripods are permitted for film, video, and still photography for non-commercial use as long as they do not block any walkways or interfere with visitor traffic or our visitor’s experience.
- Flash photography, including with external flashes, is permitted unless as long as it does not interfere with our visitor’s experience.
- Power or electrical hookups will be not be provided by the museum for non-commercial film, video and still photography. For commercial photography, power needs will be covered in advance planning.
- If personal photos or film footage taken at the Museum are to be sold to an outside source or are to be printed for use in a publication, Museum approval must be given and an agreement stating the intended use must be signed prior to the sale or publication date. These arrangements will be negotiated case by case with fees appropriate to material and audience.
- Media and railroad publications may inquire about availability of special materials from our files to illustrate stories.
The Southeastern Railway Museum reserves the right at its sole discretion to withhold or withdraw permission to photograph or film on its premises or to reproduce images of objects in the Museum collection.
The Southeastern Railway Museum reserves the right to decline any request for any reason, including any project that Museum staff believe could reflect negatively upon the Museum, its accreditation status, or its reputation as an educational institution.
The Southeastern Railway Museum reserves the right to approve final content for anything in which the Museum or its collection will appear, either by name or by visual representation. For books, videos, films or other publications and projects, the Museum may request full details of any dialogue, accompanying written or contextual content, or other information for review prior to approval.
Disclaimer concerning photography and filming: With respect to any photographs or video taken at the Southeastern Railway Museum, the Museum makes no representations or warranties concerning the subject matter of such media. The photographer shall have sole responsibility for obtaining any necessary releases or consents to use likenesses or copyrighted materials incorporated in the photography or video.
By purchasing or obtaining admission to the Southeastern Railway Museum, visitors hereby authorize the Southeastern Railway Museum to use their appearance, name, and/or likeness as taken at the Southeastern Railway Museum in the Museum’s print, online and video-based marketing materials, including illustration, promotion, art, editorial, advertising, as well as other company publications.
Visitors release and hold harmless the Southeastern Railway Museum from any reasonable expectation of privacy or confidentiality for themselves and for their minor child or children associated with the images specified above. Visitors consent to the digital compositing or distortion of the portraits or pictures, including without restriction any changes or alterations as to color, size, shape, perspective, context, foreground or background.
Visitors acknowledge that participation is voluntary and that they will not receive financial compensation of any type associated with the taking or publication of these photographs or participation in company marketing materials or other Southeastern Railway Museum publications. Visitors acknowledge and agree that publication of said photos confers no rights of ownership or royalties whatsoever.
Visitors release the Southeastern Railway Museum, its contractors, its employees and any third parties involved in the creation or publication of company publications, from liability for any claims in connection with such use.
To contact us about photography, send an email to email@example.com, call 770-476-2013, or fill out the contact form below.
Policy updated July 24, 2017