- This event has passed.
Rising from the Rails – A Black History Month Art Exhibition
February 4, 2017 @ 10:00 am - February 28, 2017 @ 5:00 pm
The Southeastern Railway Museum calls for artists in the United States to submit works that represent the African American experience. Works may also highlight the achievements and contributions of African Americans in railroad history.
Curated by Aleatha L. Williams
Hosted by the United Ebony Society
And special guest artist
Alexi Torres of MOCA
- Friday, February 3, 2017 to Tuesday, February 28, 2017
- Entry Deadline – Wednesday January 25, 2017
- Eligibility – Artists aged 18 and over working in any medium
- Fee – $25 for up to 4 works of art. Students with a valid student ID receive 25% discount with coupon code student2017.
- Artwork – JPEG Images Only. Must include title, medium, and dimensions
Artists must provide easel or stand for all works displayed.
CRITERIA FOR ARTWORK:
The museum’s goal is to achieve a diverse selection of artwork that is of high quality in both concept and construction and is appropriate for display in a public environment.
Specific requirements and objectives are:
- All entries must be original works by the submitting artist.
- Works must pose no hazard to patrons.
- Works must be appropriate for a family audience.
- Selected works must be ready for installation upon delivery.
- Works must express some element of the African American experience.
AWARDS/BENEFITS TO PARTICIPATING ARTISTS:
- Museum Choice Award
- People’s Choice Award
- Participating artists receive excellent exposure through media and museum traffic.
- All pieces will be marketed for sale throughout the duration of the exhibition. SRM retains a 20% commission on sold pieces.
- Artist Drop Off – Monday, January 30, 2017- Tuesday, January 31, 2017 – Time TBA
- Opening Reception – Friday, February 3, 2017 – Time TBA
- Artist Pick-Up – Tuesday, February 28, 2017 – Wednesday, March 1, 2017 – Time TBA